Eggs in Purgatory (Shakshouka/Chakchouka)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute breakfast vegetarian eggs
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 6 eggs
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds or powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- olive oil
(1) In a large saucepan, heat up 1 to 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Once the pan is warm, add the garlic and onions. Once the onions are translucent, add the cumin seeds/powder. Let the cumin simmer with the onions for a few moments. If you’d like to kick it up a notch, now would be a good time to add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
(2) Add the tomatoes, parsley, and bell pepper. Stir together, and let cook until the tomatoes are soft.
(3) Drop the eggs in one by one, on top of the mixture in the saucepan. When you place the eggs in the pan, spread them evenly so that you can see the yolks all across the pan.
(4) Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. When the whites of the eggs are no longer runny, the dish is ready. You can serve directly from the saucepan, or you can remove it to a plate (although it is tricky to get it out of the pan).
(5) Serve with warm pita bread. Enjoy!